Kirtana songs to be sung at dawn (from Gitavali)
bhakata-samuha loiya sathe,
'tathai tathai' bajalo khol,
ghana ghana tahe jhajera rol,
preme dhala dhala sonara anga,
carane nupura baje
mukunda madhava yadava hari,
bolena bolo re vadana bhori',
miche nida-base gelo re rati,
emana durlabha manava-deho,
paiya Ki koro bhava na keho,
ebe na bhajile yasoda-suta,
carame poribe laje
udita tapana hoile asta,
dina gelo boli' hoibe byasta,
tabe keno ebe alasa hoy,
na bhaja hrdoya-raje
jivana anitya janaha sar,
tahe nana-vidha vipada-bhar,
namasraya kori'jatane tumi,
thakaha apana kaje
jagate asi' e madhura nam,
krsna-nama-sudha koriya pan,
nama bina kichu nahiko aro,
1) When the rising sun appeared in the East, the jewel of the twice-born, Lord Gaurasundara, awakened, and, taking His devotees with Him, He went all over the countryside towns and villages
2) and played the mrdanga, and the cymbals chimed in time. Lord Gauranga's shimmering golden features danced, and His foot bells jingled.
3) All the devotees chanted the names Mukunda, Madhava, Yadava and Hari, their mouths being filled with the vibrations. They would announce to the still sleeping people, "You spend your nights uselessly sleeping and your days decorating your bodies!
4) You have achieved such a rare human body, but you do not care for this gift. You remain not serving the darling of Yasoda and slowly Fe]l through your last moments to death.
5) With every rising and setting of the sun, a day passes and is lost. Then, why do you remain idle and not serve the Lord of the heart?
6) This temporary life is full of various miseries. Take shelter of the holy name as your only business.
7) To penetrate the darkness of ignorance and bless everyone's heart, the holy name has risen like the shining sun.
8) Drink the pure nectar of the holy name. There is nothing but the name to be had in the fourteen worlds. It has filled the soul of Sri Bhaktivinoda Thakura.
bhajibo boliya ese samsara-bhitare
bhuliya rohile tumi avidyara bhare
tomare loite ami hoinu avatara
ami bina bandhu ara ke ache tomara
enechi ausadhi maya nasibaro lagi'
hari-nama maha-mantra lao tumi magi'
bhakativinoda prabhu-carane pariya
sei hari-nama-mantra loilo magiya
1) Lord Gauranga is calling, "Wake up, sleeping souls! Wake up, sleeping souls! How long will you sleep in the lap of the witch called Maya?
2) You have forgotten the way of devotional service and are lost in the world of birth and death.
3) I have descended just to save you; other than Myself you have no friend in this world.
4) I have brought the medicine that will wipe out the disease of illusion from which you are suffering. Take this maha-mantra--Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare."
5) Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura says: "I fall at the Lord's feet, having taken this maha-mantra."
hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare
grhe thako, vane thako, sada 'hari' bole' dako,
sukhe duhkhe bhulo na'ko, vadane hari-nam koro re
maya-jale baddha ho'ye, acho miche Kaja lo'ye,
ekhona cetana pe'ye, 'radha-madhav' nam bolo re
jivana hoilo sesa, na bhajile hrsikesa
bhaktivinodopadesa, ekbar nam-rase mato re
1) Lord Gaurasundara sings in a very sweet voice, Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.
2) Whether you are a householder or a sannyasi, constantly chant "Hari! Hari!" Do not forget this chanting, whether you are in a happy condition or a distressful one. Just fill your lips with the hari-nama.
3) You are bound up in the network of Maya and are forced to toil fruitlessly. Now you have obtained full consciousness in the human form of life, so chant the names of Radha-Madhava.
4) Your life may end at any moment, and you have not served the Lord of the senses, Hrsikesa. Take this advice of Bhaktivinoda Thakura: "Just once, relish the nectar of the holy name!"
kichu nahi mora guna
gopinath, amara bharasa tumi
tomara carane, loinu sarana,
tomara kinkora ami
gopinath, kemone sodhibe more
na jani bhakati, karme jada-mati,
gopinath, sakali tomara maya
nahi mama bala, jnana sunirmala,
swadhina nahe e kaya
gopinath, niyata carane sthana
mage e pamara, kandiya kandiya
korohe karuni dana
gopinath, tumi to' sakali paro
durjane tarite, tomara sakati,
ke ache papira aro
gopinath, tumi krpa-parabara
jivera karane, asiya prapance,
lila koile subistara
gopinath, ami ki dose dosi
asura sakala, pailo carana,
vinoda thakilo bosi'
1) O Gopinatha, Lord of the gopis, please hear my request. I am a wicked materialist, always addicted to worldly desires, and no good qualities do I possess.
2) 0 Gopinatha, You are my only hope, and therefore I have taken shelter at Your lotus feet. I am now Your eternal servant.
3) 0 Gopinatha, how will You purify me? I do not know what devotion is, and my materialistic mind is absorbed in fruitive work. I have fallen into this dark and perilous worldly existence.
4) 0 Gopinatha, everything here is Your illusory energy. I have no strength or transcendental knowledge, and this body of mine is not independent and free from the control of material nature.
5) 0 Gopinatha, this sinner, who is weeping and weeping, begs for an eternal place at Your divine feet. Please give him Your mercy.
6) 0 Gopinatha, You are able to do anything, and therefore You have the power to deliver all sinners. Who is there that is more of a sinner than myself?
7) 0 Gopinatha, You are the ocean of mercy. Having come into this phenomenal world, You expand Your divine pastimes for the sake of the fallen souls.
8) 0 Gopinatha, I am so sinful that although all the demons attained Your lotus feet, Bhaktivinoda has remained in worldly existence.
gopinath, ami to' kamera dasa
visaya-bhasana, jagiche hrdoye,
phadiche karama phase
gopinath, kabe va jagibo ami
kama-rupa ari, dure teyagibo,
hrdoye sphuribe tumi
gopinath, ami to' tomara jana
tomare chariya, samsara bhajinu,
gopinath, tumi to' sokali jano
apanara jane, dandiya ekhano,
sri-carane deho sthano
gopinath, ei ki vicara taba
bimukha dekhiya, charo nija-jane,
na koro' karuna-laba
gopinath, ami to murakha ati
kise bhalo hoya, kabhu na bujhinu
tai heno mama gati
gopinath, tumi to'pandita-bara
mudhera mangala, tumi anvesibe
e dase na bhavo' para
1) O Gopinatha, please remove the torment of worldly existence. I can no longer tolerate the pain of ignorance and the repeated succession of births and deaths.
2) 0 Gopinatha, indeed I am a servant of lust. Worldly desires are awakening in my heart, and thus the noose of fruitive work is beginning to tighten.
3) 0 Gopinatha, when will I wake up and abandon afar this enemy of lust, end when will You manifest Yourself in my heart?
4) 0 Gopinatha, I am Your devotee, but having abandoned You and thus having forgotten my real treasure, I have worshiped this mundane world.
5) O Gopinatha, You know everything. Now, having punished Your servant, please give him a place at Your lotus feet.
6) 0 Gopinatha, is this Your judgment, that seeing me averse to You, You abandon Your servant and don't bestow even a particle of mercy upon him?
7) 0 Gopinatha, I am certainly very foolish, and I have never known what is good for me. Therefore such is my condition.
8) 0 Gopinatha, You are indeed the wisest person. Please look for a way to bring about auspiciousness for this fool, and please do not consider this servant as an outsider.
samsare uddhara pai
gopinath, porechi mayara phere
dhana, dara, suta, ghireche amare,
kamete rekheche jere
gopinath, mana je pagala mora
na mane sasana, sada acetana,
visaye ro'yeche ghora
gopinath, hara je menechi ami
aneka jatana, hoilo bifala,
ekhano bharasa tumi
gopinath, kemone hoibe gati
prabala indriya, bosi-bhuta mana,
na chare visaya-rati
gopinath, hrdoye bosiya mora
manake samiya, laho nija pane,
ghucibe vipada ghora
gopinath, anatha dekhiya more
tumi hrsikesa, hrsika damiya,
gopinath, galaya legeche phase
krpa-asi dhori', bandhana chediya,
vinode koroho dasa
1) O Gopinatha, I have no means of success, but if You take me, having bestowed your mercy upon me, then I will obtain deliverance from this world.
2) 0 Gopinatha, I have fallen into the perils of material illusion. Wealth, wife, and sons have surrounded me, and lust has wasted me away.
3) 0 Gopinatha, my mind is crazy and does not care for any authority. It is always senseless and has remained in the dark pit of worldly affairs.
4) 0 Gopinatha, I have accepted my defeat. All of my various endeavors were useless. Now You are the only hope.
5) 0 Gopinatha, how shall I make any advancement when my mind has come under the control of the powerful senses and does not abandon its attachment to materialism?
6) 0 Gopinatha, after sitting down in the core of my heart and subduing my mind, please wake me to You. In this way the horrible dangers of this world will disappear.
7) 0 Gopinatha, You are Hrsikesa, the Lord of the senses. Seeing me so helpless, please control these senses of mine and deliver me from this dark and perilous worldly existence.
8) 0 Gopinatha, the noose of materialism has become fixed around my neck. Taking up the sword of Your mercy and cutting this bondage, make this Bhaktivinoda Your humble servant.
sakala sahane, bala diya koro',
sakale sammana korite sakati
deho' natha! jathajatha
tabe to' gaibo, hari-nama-sukhe
aparadha ha'be hata
kabe heno krpa, labhiya e jana,
krtartha hoibe, natha!
sakti-buddhi-hina, ami ati dina,
koro' more atma-satha
jogyata-vicare, kichu nahi pai,
tomara karuna - sara
karuna na hoile, kandiya kandiya,
prana na rakhibo ara
1) Gurudeva, give to this servant just one drop of mercy. I am lower than a blade of grass. Give me all help. Give me strength. Let me be as you are, without desires or aspirations.
2) I offer you all respects, for thus I may have the energy to know you correctly. Then, by chanting the holy name in great ecstasy, all my offenses will cease.
3) When will such mercy fall to this one who is weak and devoid of intelligence? Allow me to be with you.
4) If you examine me, you will find no qualities. Your mercy is all that I am made of. If you are not merciful unto me, I can on]y weep, and I will not be able to maintain my life.
sampade vipade, jivane-marane
day mama gela, tuwa o-pada barane
marobirakhobi - jo iccha tohara
nitya-dasa prati tuwa adhikara
janmaobi moe iccha jadi tor
bhakta-grhe jani janma hau mor
kita-janma hau jatha tuwa das
bahir-mukha brahma-janme nahi as
bhukti-mukti-sprha vihina je bhakta
labhaite tako sanga anurakta
janaka, janani, dayita, tanay
prabhu, guru, pati--tuhu sarva-moy
bhakatvinoda kohe, suno kana!
radha-natha! tuhu hamara parana
1) Mind, body, and family, whatever may be mine, I have surrendered at Your lotus feet, O youthful son of Nanda!
2) In good fortune or in bad, in life or at death, all my difficulties have disappeared by choosing those feet of Yours as my only shelter.
3) Slay me or protect me as You wish, for You are the master of Your eternal servant.
4) If it is Your will that I be born again, then may it be in the home of Your devotee.
5) May I be born again even as a worm, so long as I may remain Your devotee. I have no desire to be born as a Brahma averse to You.
6) I yearn for the company of that devotee who is completely devoid of all desire for worldly enjoyment or liberation.
7) Father, mother, lover, son, Lord, preceptor, and husband; You are everything to me.
8) Thakura Bhaktivinoda says, "O Kana, please hear me! O Lord of Radha, You are my life and soul!"
Songs for the Honoring of Spiritual Food
(this first song should be sung before honoring the Lord's prasada)
jive phele visaya-sagore
ta'ra madhye jihwa ati, lobamoy sudurmati,
ta'ke jeta kathina samsare
krsna baro doyamoy, koribare jihwa jay,
swa-prasad-anna dilo bhai
sei anna-mrta pao,
preme dako caitanya-nitai
O Lord, this material body is a place of ignorance, and the senses are a network of paths to death. Somehow, we have fallen into this ocean of material sense enjoyment, and of all the senses the tongue is most voracious and uncontrollable; it is very difficult to conquer the tongue in this world. But You, dear Krsna, are very kind to us and have given us such nice prasada, just to control the tongue. Now we take this prasada to our full satisfaction and glorify You Lord-Radha and Krsna--and in love call for the help of Lord Caitanya and Nityananda.
krpa-bale ha'be hrdoye sancar
trnadhika hina, kabe nije mani',
sahisnuta-guna hrdoyete ani'
sakale manada, apani amani,
ho'ye aswadibo nama-rasa-sar
dhana jana ara, kobita-sundari,
bolibo na cahi deho-sukha-kari
janme-janme dao, ohe gaurahari!
ahaituki bhakti carane tomar
(kabe) korite sri-krsna- nama uccarana,
pulakita deho gadgada bacana
baibarnya-bepathu ha'be sanghatana,
nirantara netre ba'be asru-dhar
kabe navadwipe, suradhuni-tate,
gaura-nityananda boli' niskapate
naciya gaiya, beraibo chute,
batulera praya chariya bicar
kabe nityananda, more kori'doya,
charaibe mora visayera maya
diya more nija- caranera chaya,
namera hatete dibe adhikar
kinibo, Lutibo, hari-nama-rasa,
nama-rase mati' hoibo bibasa
rasera rasika- carana parasa,
koriya mojibo rase anibar
Kabe jibe doya, hoibe udoya,
nija-sukha bhuli' sudina-hrdoya
bhakativinoda, koriya binoya,
sri-ajna-tahala koribe pracar
1) When, oh when will that day be mine? When my offenses ceasing, taste for the name increasing, when in my heart will your mercy shine, when, oh when will that day be mine
2) Lower than a blade of grass,more tolerant than a tree. When will my mind attain this quality? Respectful to all, not expecting their honor, then shall I taste the name's nectar sublime. When, oh when will that day be mine?
3) Great wealth or followers, feminine beauty, I won't care for them or the comforts of my body. Birth after birth give me, Oh Lord Caitanya, causeless devotion to Your feet divine, when, oh when will that day be mine?
4) When will I utter Krsna,Krsna, Krsna, with words choked up and shivering body? When will I be trembling all over, lose bodily color, tears pouring from my eyes, When, oh when will that day be mine?
5) When in Navadvipa along the Ganges bank, shouting 'Gaura-Nityananda' as a surrendered soul, dancing, chanting, running everywhere, when will I become half mad of mind? When, oh when will that day be mine?
6) When will Lord Nityananda show mercy upon me, when will I reject the world of Maya:' Bestow unto me the shade of Your lotus feet, let the right to preach the name be mine. When, oh when will that day be mine?
7) I will beg, borrow, or steal the nectar of the name. By the name's effect I will feel paralyzed. Oh! Enjoyed of the nectar of the name, When will I touch your lotus feet till the end of time? When, oh when will that day be mine?
8) When kindness to all beings will be appearing, with free heart forget myself comforting, Bhaktivinoda in all humility prays, "Now I will set out to preach Your order sublime." When, oh when will that day be mine?
(at Thakura Bhaktivinoda's home at Surabhi-kunja in Godruma)
bela-ho'lo, damodara, aisa ekhano
bhoga-mandire bosi' koraho bhojana
nandera nidese baise giri-bara-dhari
baladeva-saha sakha baise sari sari
sukta-sakadi bhaji nalita kusmanda
dali dalna dugdha-tumbi dadhi moca-khanda
mudga-bora masa-bora rotika ghrtanna
saskuli pistaka khir puli payasanna
karpura amrta--keli rambha khira-sara
amrta rasala, amla dwadasa prakara
luci cini sarpuri laddu rasabali
bhojana korena krsna ho'ye kutuhali
raidhikara pakka anna vividha byanjana
parama anande krsna korena bhojana
chale-bale laddu khay sri-madhumangala
bagala bhajay ara deya hari-bolo
radhikadi gane heri' nayanera kone
trpta ho'ye khay krsna jasoda-bhavane
bhojanante piye krsna subasita bari
sabe mukha prakhaloy ho'ye sari sari
hasta-mukha prakhaliya jata sakha-gane
anande bisraima kore baladeva-sane
jambula rasala ane tambula-masala
taha kheye krsna-candra sukhe nidra gela
bisalakha sikhi-puccha-camara dhulaya
apurba sayyaya krsna~ sukhe nidra jaya
jasomati-ajna pe'ye dhanistha-anito
sri-krsna-prasada radha bhunje ho'ye prito
lalitadi sakhi-gana avasesa paya
mane mane sukhe radha-krsna-guna gaya
hari-lila ek-matra jahara pramoda
bhogarati gay thakur bhakativinoda
1) Just worship Sri Gaurahari, who is always affectionate toward His devotees. He is the same Supreme Godhead, Krsna, who sported in the cowherd pastures of Vraja and stole the hearts of Nanda and Yasoda.
2) Mother Yasoda calls to Krsna, "My dear Damodara, it is very late. Please come right now, sit down in the dining hall, and take Your lunch."
3) On the direction of Nanda Maharaja, Krsna, the holder of Govardhana Hill, sits down, and then all the cowherd boys, along with Krsna's elder brother, Sri Baladeva, sit down in rows to take their lunch.
4) They are then served a feast of sukta and various kinds of green leafy vegetables, then nice fried things, and a salad made of the green leaves of the jute plant. They are also served pumpkin, baskets of fruit, small square cakes made of lentils and cooked down milk, then thick yogurt, squash cooked in milk, and vegetable preparations made from the tower of the banana tree.
5) Then they receive fried squares of mung dahl patties, and urad dahl patties, capatis, and rice with ghee. Next, sweets made with milk, sugar and sesamum, rice flour cakes; thick cooked-down milk; cakes floating in milk; and sweet rice.
6) There is also sweet rice that tastes just like nectar due to its being mixed with camphor. There are bananas, and cheese which is nectarean and delicious. They are also served twelve kinds of sour preparations made with tamarinds, limes, lemons, oranges, and pomegranates.
7) There are puns made with white flour and sugar; puns filled with cream; laddus; and dahl patties boiled in sugared rice. Krsna eagerly eats all of the food.
8) In great ecstasy and joy Krsna eats the rice, curried vegetables, sweets, and pastries cooked by Srimati Radharani.
9) Krsna's funny brahmana friend Madhumangala, who is very fond of Laddus, gets them by hook or by crook. Eating the laddus he shouts, "Haribol! Haribol!~' and makes a funny sound by swapping his sides under his armpits with his hands.
10) Beholding Radharani and Her gopifriends out of the courters of His eyes, Krsna eats at the house of mother Yasoda with great satisfaction.
11) After lunch, Krsna drinks rose-scented water. Then all of the boys, standing in lines, wash their mouths.
12) After all the cowherd boys wash their hands and mouths, in great bliss they take rest with Lord Balarama.
13) The two cowherd boys Jambula and Rasala then bring Krsna pan made with betel nuts, fancy spices, and catechu. After eating that pin, Sri Krsnacandra then happily goes to sleep.
14) While Krsna happily takes His rest on an excellent bedstead, His servant Visalaksa cools Him with a fan of peacock feathers.
15) At mother Yasoda's request the gopi Dhanistha brings remnants of food left on Krsna's plate to Srimati Radharani, who eats them with great delight
16) Lalita-devi and the other gopis then receive the remnants, and within their hearts they sing the glories of Radharani and Krsna with great joy.
17) Thakura Bhaktivinoda, whose one and only Joy is the pastimes of Lord Hari, sings this Bhoga-arati song.
(jaya) gopi-jana-vallabha (jaya) giri-vara-dhari
(jaya) jasoda-nandana, (jaye) braja-jana-ranjana,
Krsna is the lover of Radha. He displays many amorous pastimes in the groves of Vrndavana, He is the lover of the cowherd maidens of Vraja, the holder of the great hill named Govardhana, the beloved son of mother Yasoda, the delighter Of the inhabitants of Vraja, and He wanders in the forests along the banks of the River Yamuna.
phirche nece' gaura-nitai
(miche) mayer bose, jaccho bhese',
khaccho habudubu, bhai
(jiv) krsna-das, e biswas,
korle to' ar duhkho nai
(krsna) bolbe jabe, pulak ha'be
jhorbe ankhi, boli tai
('radha) krsna'bolo, sange calo,
ei-matra bhikha cai
(jay) sakal bipod bhaktivinod
bole, jakhon o-nam gai
Chant, chant "Radha-Krsna!" Everyone chant!
1) When Lord Caitanya and Lord Nityananda came dancing through Nadia, they gave these teachings: Chant, chant "Radha-Krsna!" Everyone chant!
2) You are caught up in a whirlpool of senseless action and are sinking lower and lower. Chant, chant "Radha-Krsna!" Everyone chant!
3) If you just understand that the spirit soul is the eternal servant of Krsna, you will never have any more sorrows.
4) Chant Hare Krsna and your eyes will fill with tears and your body will feel transcendental shivering. Chant, chant "Radha-Krsna!" Everyone chant!
5) Simply chant "Radha-Krsna" and join with us. Those are the only alms we beg. Chant, chant "Radha-Krsna!" Everyone chant!
6) "All dangers will be gone when that Name is chanted," says Bhaktivinoda Thakura. Chant chant "Radha-Krsna!" Everyone chant!
jatane palana kori
krsna-basati, basati boli',
parama adare bori
gaur amara, je-saba sthane,
koralo bhramana range
se-saba sthana, heribo ami,
mrdanga-badya, sunite mana
abasara sada jace
gaura-bihita, kirtana suni',
anande hrdoya nace
jugala-murti, dekhiya mora,
prasada-seba korite hoya,
sakala prapanca jaya
je-dina grhe, bhajana dekhi,
grhete goloka bha-ya
carana-sidhu, dekhiya ganga,
sukha sa sima paya
tulasi dekhi', juraya prana,
jivana sarthaka mani
anukula paya jaha
swikara koroye taha
1) The dust of the lotus feet of pure devotees, enthusiastic devotional service, and service to the pure devotees of the highest order are the roots of the creeper of devotion.
2) The holy days like Ekadasi and Janmastami are the mother of devotion for those devotees who respect them. Let the holy places of Krsna's pastimes be my places of worship, and bless me.
3) May I always visit all the holy places associated with the Lila of Lord Caitanya and His devotees.
4) When I hear the sound of the Mrdanga in my heart I always desire to join in kirtana; and when I hear the bonafide songs describing Lord Caitanya's pastimes, my heart dances in ecstasy.
5) Whenever I see thy transcendental sri-vigrahas of Radha-Krsna I am in bliss, for by taking Their Lordships' prasada we can conquer over the material elements.
6) One day while performing devotional practices, I saw my house transformed into Goloka Vrndavana. When I take the caranamrta of the Deity, I see the holy Ganges waters that come from the feet of Lord Vishnu, and my bliss knows no bounds.
7) By seeing the tulasi tree my heart feels joy and Lord Madhava (Krsna) is also satisfied. When I eat the prasada favored by Lord Caitanya it is a new life's experience. (Lord Caitanya was very fond of a green vegetable preparation called Sak, and there is another song in this book that tells of the amazing effects of this type of prasada.
8) Bhaktivinoda concludes by saying: "Whosoever attains the stage of enthusiasm for these devotional practices will be supremely blissful wherever he may be."
dakhine nitaicand, bame, gadadhara
nikate adwaita, srinivasa chatra-dhara
bosiyache goracand ratna-simhasane
arati koren brahma-adi deva-gane
narahari-adi kori' camara dhulaya
sankha baje ghanta baje baje karatala
madhura mrdanga baje parama rasala
sankha baja ghanta baje
madhur madhur madhur baje
bahu-koti candra jini vadana ujjvala
gala-dese bana-mala kore jhalamala
siva-suka-narada preme gada-gada
bhakativinoda dekhe gorara sampada
(1) All glories, all glories to the beautiful arati ceremony of Lord Caitanya. This Gaura-arati is taking place in a grove on the banks of the Jahnavi (Ganges) and is attracting the minds of all living entities in the universe.
(2) On Lord Caitanya's right side is Lord Nityananda and on His left is Sri Gadadhara. Nearby stands Sri Advaita, and Srivasa Thakura is holding an umbrella over Lord Caitanya's head.
(3) Lord Caitanya has sat down on a jeweled throne, and the demigods, headed by Lord Brahms, perform the arati ceremony
(4) Narahari Sarakara and other associates of Lord Caitanya fan Him with camaras, and devotees headed by Sanjaya Pandita, Mukunda Datta, and Vasu Ghosa sing sweet kirtana.
(5) Conchshells, bells, and karatalas resound, and the mrdangas play very sweetly. This kirtana music is supremely sweet and relish able to hear.
(6) The brilliance of Lord Caitanya's face conquers millions upon millions of moons, and the garland of forest flowers around His neck shines.
(7) Lord Siva, Sukadeva Gosvami, and Narada Muni are all there, and their voices are choked with the ecstasy of transcendental love. Thus Thakura Bhaktivinoda envisions the glory of Lord Sri Caitanya.
Chanting of the Holy Names
amala harinam amiya-vilasa
vipina-purandara, navina nagara-bora,
govinda madhava, navanita-taskara,
(1) Lord Krsna is the beloved son of mother Yasoda; the transcendental lover in the land of Vraja; the delight of Gokula; Kana (a nickname of Krsna), the wealth of the lives of the gopis. He steals the mind of even Cupid and punishes the Kaliya serpent.
(2) These pure, holy names of Lord Hari are full of sweet, nectarean pastimes. Krsna is the Lord of the twelve forests of Vraja, He is ever-youthful and is the best of lovers. He is always playing on a flute, and He is an excellent dresser.
(3) Krsna is the protector of the inhabitants of Vraja; the destroyer of various demoniac dynasties, the keeper and tender of Nanda Maharaja's cows; the giver of pleasure to the cows, land, and spiritual senses, the husband of the goddess of fortune; the butter thief, and the beautiful cowherd boy of Nanda Maharaja.
(4) Krsna wanders along the banks of the River Yamuna. He stole the garments of the young damsels of Vraja who were bathing there. He delights in the mellows of the Rasa dance; He is very merciful,the lover and beloved of Srimati Radharani; the great dancer of Vrndavana, and the shelter and only refuge of Thakura Bhaktivinoda.
ohe! vaisnaba thakura, doyara sagara,
e dase koruna kori'
diya pada-chaya, sodho he amaya,
tomara carana dhori
chaya bega domi, chaya dosa sodhi
chaya guna deho' dase
chaya sat-sanga, deho' he amare,
boshechi sangera ase
ekaki amara, nahi paya bala,
tumi krpa kori: sraddha-bindu diya,
krsna se tomara, krsna dite paro,
tomara sakati ache
ami to' kangala, 'krsna 'krsna 'boli',
dhai tava pache pache
1) O venerable Vaisnava. O ocean of mercy, be merciful unto your servant. Give me the shade of your lotus feet and purify me. I hold on to your lotus feet.
2) Teach me to control my six passions; rectify my six faults, bestow upon me the six qualities, and offer unto me the six kinds of holy association.*
3) I do not find the strength to carry on alone the sankirtana of the holy name of Hari. Please bless me by giving me just one drop of faith with which to obtain the great treasure of the holy name of Krsna.
4) Krsna is yours; you have the power to give Him to me. I am simply running behind you shouting, "Krsna! Krsna!"
* The six passions are those pertaining to words, the mind, anger, the tongue, the stomach and the genitals. The six faults are overeating, attachment to material things, inability to follow regulative principles, sense gratification, useless idle talk, and impure habits. The six positive qualities are enthusiasm in practicing devotional service, firm faith in devotional processes, a strong desire to attain prema-bhakti, a favorable service attitude, avoidance of non-devotees, and appreciation of the company of devotees. The six methods of association are to go to an assembly of devotees, to invite devotees into one's home, to discuss and hear devotional topics, to take the maha-prasada of devotees and to offer maha-prasada to devotees.
nidra chari' utho jiva
bolo hari hari, mukunda murari,
rama krsna hayagriva
nrsimha vamana, sri-madhusudana,
yasoda dulala, govinda-gopala,
brajera rakhala, gopa-vrnda-pala,
navina nirada, rupa manohara,
nama-sudha-rasa, gao krsna-jasa
rakho vacana mana mora
(1) The night has come to an end and the light of dawn is entering O jiva soul, arise and give up your sleep. Chant the holy names of Lord Hari, who is the giver of liberation; the enemy of the Mura demon; the supreme enjoyer; the all-attractive one, and the horse-headed incarnation, Hayagriva.
(2) Lord Hari (Krsna) incarnated as the half-man, half-lion, Nrsimha. He appeared as a dwarf-brahmana named Upendra and is the killer of the Madhu demon, He is the beloved son of the King of Vraja, Nanda Maharaja, and is blackish in complexion. He is the slayer of the Putana witch and the destoyer of the demon Kaitabha. All glories to Lord Hari,0 who appeared as Lord Rama, the son of King Dasaratha.
(3) He is the darling of mother Yasoda; the giver of pleasure to the cows, land, and spiritual senses; and the protector of the cows. He is the Lord of the Vrndavana forest; the gopis' beloved; the lover of Radhika; and the most beautiful personality in all the worlds.
(4) As Ramacandra He brought about the end of the demoniac King Ravana; as Krsna He stole the older gopis' butter; He stole the younger gopis'clothes while they were bathing in the Yamuna. He is a cowherd boy of Vraja and the protector of the cowherd boys. He steals the hearts of all and always holds a flute.
(5) Lord Krsna is worshiped by the best of yogis and is the son of Nanda. He removes all the fears of the inhabitants of Vraja. He is the color of a fresh rain cloud, and His form is enchanting. When He wanders about, playing His flute, He looks very charming.
(6) He is the son of Yasoda and the killer of King Kamsa, and He sports in the rasa dance among the groves of Vraja. Krsna engages in this rasa dance underneath the kadamba trees, and He resides in the forest of Vrndavana.
(7) He increases the ecstasy of His devotees. He is the reservoir of all love and is the transcendental Cupid who uses His flowered arrows to increase the loving desires of the gopis. He is the pleasure of the gopis' hearts and the abode of all wonderful qualities.
(8) Lord Krsna is the life of the River Yamuna. He is always absorbed in amorous pastimes, and He is the moon of the gopis' minds, which are like the cakora birds that subsist only upon moonlight. O mind, obey these words of mine and sing the glories of Sri Krsna in the form of these holy names, which are full of nectarean mellows.